I decided a couple of weeks ago to make a mech with a small diorama with the aim to focus on something smaller so I can focus on quality and not lose interest.
I did a terrain sculpt which is a river bed with rocks mud and grass below.
The following are some wip shots of the mech, its based of a concept by Peter Sutherland, its supposed to be something that quite industrial and functional but also could defend itself if need be. I am aiming to break this down into a few stages for the high poly because I really want to try abd push myself in terms of quality
High Poly Blockout - figure out silhouette and get design working in 3d
Match Concept - Split the model into parts and focus on nailing all the major shapes from the concept, splitting allows to focus in on certain areas so it doesn't become overwhelming.
'Paul Pepera Pass' - Detail everything until it matches the quality of paul's work, piece by piece.
I have currently just finished the Match concept stage, as you can see a few things have changed, I have redesigned the cab and legs to improve the silhouette and make it look more interesting in those areas.
Now the Podracer is Finished I have started a new scene which is based off the concept below, I am turning this into a bit of a competition with Chris who I work with. So far only a blockout but I am getting it in engine really quickly to balance colours and lighting.
I had a few things I wanted to learn and address for my folio so I be focusing on these
Lots of Animation
Couple of really nice indivdual Assets High Poly and renders
Focusing on something smaller and more contained to push the quality
I have finally finished the PodRacer scene, Finally! Below are the final shots :)
I am glad its done and I have learnt a lot from doing it especially texturing the pod racer, I am planning on doing a breakdown soon for that so keep your eyes peeled for that.
I am fairly happy with the shots but I have definitely learnt to scale things back, for my next project I will definitely be reigning it in so I can focus more on the quality and not take as long to finish something. I was still working at the scale of my Uni Projects; where I was doing the same thing constantly but now I just don't have the same time so I know it be better to focus it down. Also nailing a good blockout first will really help me so I don't go mad with the scale. Its good at the end having lots of shots to mess about with but I rather just get two or three amazing ones.
I ported the entire scene from Unreal to CryEngine as it suited the style of the scene more, I was wasting a lot of time noodling in UE4 and not really making a lot of progress. I found the engine pretty cumbersome to use due to the long build times for lighting and now compiling materials which is really disappointing.Also due to the fact that Ue4 doesn't use a custom lighting setup for its vegetation I couldn't get it to look good.
Here are some shots.
I am pretty happy with the progress on this and I am hopeful that I can finish it off fairly soon, I am thinking about cutting the shanty towns I had planned for the rocks as I feel like I just be working on this scene forever if I do add it.
Using UE4 to finish off the scene with the Pod Racer, Which is starting to come together. Built a Tileset of Rocks which still need a proper texture and started to block out a Sci Fi shanty town inspired by Rage.
Re-Rendered pod racer without depth of field and bright backgrounds to showcase the pod racer better, Been cracking on with environments, with some high poly rocks, Making a small medium and large set, 3 of each so far.
Had a lot of spare time after losing job so I wanted to get the Pod Racer finished off, before I start my new job on Monday. The texturing is finally done and I pretty pleased with the result got some great feedback and learnt a lot doing it especially using Substance and programs like that.
Will start working on little scene to present in now using the terrain I made previously. Planning to make a little desert scene with some rocks and a bit of vegetation.