Friday, 27 June 2014

PodRacer Final Shots

I have finally finished the PodRacer scene, Finally! Below are the final shots :)

I am glad its done and I have learnt a lot from doing it especially texturing the pod racer, I am planning on doing a breakdown soon for that so keep your eyes peeled for that. 

I am fairly happy with the shots but I have definitely learnt to scale things back, for my next project I will definitely be reigning it in so I can focus more on the quality and not take as long to finish something. I was still working at the scale of my Uni Projects; where I was doing the same thing constantly but now I just don't have the same time so I know it be better to focus it down. Also nailing a good blockout first will really help me so I don't go mad with the scale. Its good at the end having lots of shots to mess about with but I rather just get two or three amazing ones. 

Sunday, 1 June 2014

PodRacer scene progress

I ported the entire scene from Unreal to CryEngine as it suited the style of the scene more, I was wasting a lot of time noodling in UE4 and not really making a lot of progress. I found the engine pretty cumbersome to use due to the long build times for lighting and now compiling materials which is really disappointing.Also due to the fact that Ue4 doesn't use a custom lighting setup for its vegetation I couldn't get it to look good.

Here are some shots.

I am pretty happy with the progress on this and I am hopeful that I can finish it off fairly soon, I am thinking about cutting the shanty towns I had planned for the rocks as I feel like I just be working on this scene forever if I do add it.

Some close up shots for polycount